Utility FAQs

Multiple payment options

  • Online Payment Information
  • Average Monthly Payment Plan (AMP) - The City offers the AMP Plan which spreads the customer's total annual utility cost over 12 monthly average payments. The plan is available to Residential and Commercial customers who meet the qualifications. 
  • Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) - LIEAP is a Federally funded program through the Kansas Department for Children and Families that helps eligible households pay a portion of their home energy costs by providing a one-time per year benefit.

What is the Electric Service Cost and what is the Energy Cost of the Utility Billing statement?

Utility Service General Information Sheet

What utility services are provided by the City of Wellington?

  • The City of Wellington provides electricity, water, sewer and trash services.

Is there a deposit required to set service?

  • The deposit for both electricity and water is $150.00. If your landlord pays the water, the deposit is $100.00. If you had a previous account that was sent to a collection agency to collect past due payments, there will be an additional amount required for the deposit. 

Do I get my deposit back?

  • After twelve (12) months of continuous service with two (2) or less late penalties, the deposit plus any interest owed will be mailed out to the account holder. If there were more than two (2) penalties during the previous twelve (12) months, the deposit will be held on the account until twelve (12) consecutive months have passed with two (2) penalties or less. 

When I move, will I get my deposit back?

  • If you relocate within the City of Wellington, the deposit may be transferred from your current account to the new account. If you relocate outside of the City of Wellington service area, the deposit will be posted against the final bill and any remaining deposit will be mailed to your forwarding address. If there is a balance remaining after the deposit is posted against the account, it will show on the final bill. 

What do I need to bring in when I'm setting up new services?

  • The City of Wellington requires proof of ownership or occupancy in your name.  If the property was purchased, written verification of purchase showing buyer, seller, and address.  (A copy of the summary page of your closing documents would provide the necessary information.)   If you are renting/leasing the property, a Notice of Occupancy form signed by the property owner is required.  (The form may be submitted to the Utility Office by the property owner.)  Also required are two forms of valid identification.  One is current photo identification and the other your social security card or a legal document showing your social security number.  The deposit for utility services is also required.  

Can the services be turned on the same day?

  • Barring any problems with the property, services can be set the day of request when the request is processed prior to 4:30 pm. 

Do I need the same information every time I move?

  • The proof of residency is required every time we set services in your name. As long as your name does not change, your ID may already be on file, if your records have been updated within the last five years. 

Do I have to pay off my bill when I move?

  • In order to set services at a different address, the current account must be paid to a zero balance. Your billing cycle is always a month in arrears, so you will have at least one more bill after you move. In some cases, you may be billed up to a month and a half depending upon the move and cycle dates.

Can I change my due date?

  • The due date is fixed and is based upon your address and the way the routes are read by the meter readers. We are unable to change the due date. 

What do I do if I know I can't pay my bill?

  • The City of Wellington has the ability to make payment arrangements within certain parameters. Contact the Utility Office as soon as you receive your bill, if you believe that you may have a problem with making the payment on time.

How is the monthly user charge for wastewater treatment and collection service calculated?

  • The monthly user charge is calculated based on an average of monthly water usage by the customer for the months of December, January and February.  The average is calculated and effective with the utility billings beginning the following March 15.  The winter months are used to set an average in order to avoid the summer high usage months in fairness to the customer.  A new average is determined annually.

Water Conservation Plan 

The City of Wellington Utility Office also offers:

  • Fire/smoke alarms
  • Whole house surge protectors
  • Kill-A-Watts (a device that measures the kilowatts used for a particular appliance in your home)
  • Trash bags

Please Contact The Utility Office And Speak With Our Friendly Customer Service Representatives For Information On These Services.
620-326-2821 8am-5pm