Wellington Fire/EMS History
Records indicate the City of Wellington Fire Department began in 1880 and was called the Arcadia Hose Company. The city had a total of four fire stations, one in each of the four wards. When a fire was reported the first firefighter to reach the bell tower on City Hall ran the bell. The number of rings would indicate the number of the ward that was to respond. In 1895, the four fire stations were combined into one station, and was called the Wellington Fire Company.
The fire department later moved from City Hall to the 200 block of North Jefferson. In 1969 the department took over EMS services from the funeral homes. It was one of the first EMS services in the state to offer paramedic services.
In the year 2000 a new public safety center housing both police and Fire/EMS was constructed in the 200 block of North C Street. At that time there were 15 full time firefighters, a fire marshal, fire chief and a training officer. The fire marshal and training officer positions were eventually eliminated and three additional firefighters were hired in 2015 to accommodate an increasing call volume.
Apparatus and Equipment
In addition to our apparatus the department has a hazardous materials trailer, trench/grain engulfment rescue trailer, decontamination/air cascade trailer, MERGE mass casualty trailer, inflatable rescue boat, hard bottom rescue boat, fire safety trailer and an ATV.